Cotton is one of the world's most unsustainable crops ever.
Cotton production and processing is the largest user of water among all agricultural commodities in the world, and uses an insane amount of pesticides and fertilizers to grow. Pesticides threaten the quality of the soil and water, eroding the health of biodiversity in and around the cotton fields.
Can you imagine how much cotton is grown for disposable products like make up remover pads?
One of the first big changes I made in my lifestyle was buying reusable make up remover pads. Facial cleansing pads? Facial pads? Reusable face rounds? What is the name for these things?
Mine are made from bamboo, and even though I bought them cheaply from Amazon three years ago, I still love them and use them whenever I'm removing my make up.
5 reasons to get yourself reusable facial cleansing pads
1. You will reduce the amount of cotton that needs to be grown and then ending up in landfill, especially if you're choosing bamboo pads. Read more about the 'Dirtiest Crop on Earth'.
2. One of the biggest problems with the cotton industry is the amount of pesticides used to grow the crops. You will do the earth a huge favor when you stop using disposable cotton shit.
3. By extension, you will save a lot of water being wasted which carries pesticides and pollutes and erodes the soil in the countries where your cotton is grown.
4. Next to saving water and pesticides, you will also save on a lot of plastic packaging.
5. Last but not least, you'll also save yourself a lot of money, as you won't need to keep on buying these products but can use the reusable pads for years!
Read my reviews on a couple of Facial Cleaning Pads here: